The better question that ought to have been asked is “can any of us prove, scientifically, that we exist?” The answer, ultimately is “No”. Why can we not prove our existence? The answer is simple: our identity is purely a first-person experience. Who Triggerman is, is separate from what Triggerman is. I am a human being: that is what I am. I am a father: again, what I am. I am a husband: again, what I am. Who I am, my formative experiences, memories, desires, etc, all of the things that make up my identity are not quantifiable or empirically verifiable; therefore, scientifically, I, Triggerman, do not exist; however, experientially I do exist. Are these conflicting answers. No, because they are different categories of explanation, while it may be plain as to what I am—that I am a human being taxonomically—who I am can only be gained experientially through something known as revelation.
I just want to take a look at the bulleted points and address them, with my responses in bold type:
- God has never left any physical evidence of his existence on earth. —Technically, neither have we. Unless someone has had their biography published and widely dispersed, once any of us sheds this existence, there is nothing left to really say, “Here I was!” Even if one of us was clearly able to leave some kind of meaningful mark, unless someone remained to care for it, it would be meaningless and irrelevant after a few generations. But what about God? If we take the Bible seriously as to what it presents, Psalm 19:1-6 (ESV) gives us plenty of evidence:
“The heavens declare the glory of God,and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.Day to day pours out speech,and night to night reveals knowledge.There is no speech, nor are there words,whose voice is not heard.Their voice goes out through all the earth,and their words to the end of the world.In them he has set a tent for the sun,which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber,and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.Its rising is from the end of the heavens,and its circuit to the end of them,and there is nothing hidden from its heat.”
God has made his mark, and he made it on that which he has made. I cannot look at my car and deny that it was the handiwork of a creative mind. Neither can I look at the world around me and deny its intricate, interwoven connectedness, which, to me, indicates wisdom and intelligence that cannot be denied.
- None of Jesus’ “miracles” left any physical evidence either. —Something I believe I answered here.
- God has never spoken to modern man, for example by taking over all the television stations and broadcasting a rational message to everyone. —This logic just doesn’t follow: because God has not spoken to a “modern” man over TV or radio, therefore God does not exist. Has he not watched a football game and seen a person holding up a sign that reads “John 3:16”? Guess what, according to my beliefs, that is God speaking in HIs revealed Word, better known as the Bible.
- The resurrected Jesus has never appeared to anyone. —I mean, wow. Has this guy never read 1 Corinthians 15:5-8 (ESV):
“[…]that (Jesus) appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me […]”?
There is overwhelming scholarship that is in agreement that this portion of the earliest Christian creed, preserved by the Apostle Paul in his first epistle to the Corinthian church, dates to between 2 and 7 years of the reported resurrection, something Gary Habermas has dedicated his life to researching.
- The Bible we have is provably incorrect and is obviously the work of primitive men rather than God. —Statements like this are just based in ignorance. Without a doubt, probably one of the best surviving, best attested, most preserved, most accurate historical texts in the world exists in the collection known as the Bible. Here is a somewhat dated, yet relevant video on biblical reliability.
- When we analyze prayer with statistics, we find no evidence that God is “answering prayers.” —Again? Just, well here and here.
- Huge, amazing atrocities like the Holocaust and AIDS occur without any response from God. —Huh? The Holocaust was put to a stop by men who had a moral basis established by Scripture, aka the revealed Word of God. AIDS and its continuing spread is often, not always, the result of continuing in behavior that the Bible clearly defines as sinful. Recent research has shown that more than 60% of new HIV infections arise from homosexual behavior, and more than 50% of those new infections are men under 30. There are simple ways to stop the spread of STDs like HIV/AIDS, but because people love their sin more than righteous living, it will continue to spiral out of control.
Is there a way then to prove, scientifically, that God exists. No, but similarly there is no scientific way to prove that I exist, or you exist, or the writer of this “proof” exists. Fortunately I don’t have to empirically “prove” that I exist, I simply have to produce an identification card that has my name and address on it, which is something that I will have to do next week. So if you live in the United States, don’t forget to vote.